About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A unique experience, especially for me...

Well, I wrote about this a couple of days ago, but sadly, as I went to save and post it, my window froze and completed erased my entire post. How sad is that. So here goes try number two. It won’t be as good the second time I’m afraid, but it will have do.

Last Monday night was a girl’s birthday party, so a party soon commenced. It was to be a simple gathering- movie (Madagascar) and snacks, but soon evolved into much more.

Marvin, (who you will recall from “Crepe Night”…see videos below), decided to start a dance party. Don’t worry readers, nothing scandalous about this dancing, just pure, friendly, fun. As the title states, I certainly don’t have much experience in this department (as many of you know), but even the people who did say this was one of the most unique dancing parties they had ever been to.


There were only three guys to all of us many girls, but the guys were amazingly inclusive and no matter what you looked like or how badly you danced, everyone felt included. At first, I adamantly refused to participate due to my lack of coordination, grace, and dancing abilities, but I was quickly drug to the dance floor, which consisted of the TV room in the boy’s dorm.

While Leo the DJ was manning the music, and Steven showing off his dancing moves, Marvin was our dancing instructor, for those of us less informed. We did everything from “The Sprinkler”, “The Shopping Cart”, Tae Bo (don’t ask), “The Worm”, and many, many more moves I can’t recall. This was accompanied by music from the Beejees (“Stayin’ Alive”, of course), Michael Jackson (“Thriller”), and other random, contemporary songs I knew not. The night also included a dance off, (involving EVERYONE), a congo line going all through the dorm, a song which included us all doing the electric slide, and a lot of pointless jumping around. I felt ridiculous, and probably looked ridiculous, but it was so much fun. That night, I was taught to square dance to a disco song, twirl and dip to a slow song, and many other fascinating things.


At the end of the night, we sat the birthday girl down in a chair and we circled around her and sang “Hey Jude” (The Beatles) to her, and at the end of the song the three guys lifted her up and twirled her in her chair around in the air. I feel like I’m leaving out large, amusing parts of the night, but it cannot be helped. We blared the music and danced the night away until 11:00, at which point we were all exhausted from the dancing and all the laughter, and so very sweaty, but it was well worth it.

1 comment:

Sweet Onion said...

That sounds like the best birthday party ever! And dancing.... ah, so much fun.

~Jen