Ok, right now I'm feeling a little bitter. I wrote this lovely post about my musical experiences here in France (choir, orchestra, vocal ensemble), and then when I went to post it, the stupid thing deleted it. Maybe I'll get around to rewriting it, but right now I'm so mad I don't want to think about it. Instead, I'll tell you about my fun day I had on Friday!
With fall in the air, I've been going out to Geneva nearly everyday just to get out and enjoy the lovely weather while it lasts. So I freqently go into town and get a newspaper and read by the lake, or just walk around, or people watch. Anyways, Friday I went into Geneva with Leo, his classmate Alexia, and Marvin, and they invited us to their Political Science class! I was soooo excited, since that was what I was originally going to study and still kind of interests me. So I went to the two hour lecture, didn't get a whole lot out of it since she spoke quite fast and used vocab I'm not used to, but still good. Afterwards, I got to meet a bunch of people who are also in the Internation Relations program, which was really cool. They were from all over, Albania, Switzerland, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, you name it, and they were all very friendly to me.
So we went to a quad by the library and just sat out and talked for a while, and it was so good for me. I wasn't around ANYONE who spoke English, so I was forced to practice my French, and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it went. I think it's getting easier and easier, and more comfortable, which makes me quite happy. After everyone started to part ways, one of the girls, the one we had gone to class with, Alexia, said she had to hang around and wait for like 3 hours by herself for her dad to get off work, so we invited her back to the campus and we all went to dinner together. After dinner, we went to the basement of the boy's dorm and played an interesting version of "spoons"....
For those of you not familiar with the game, it's pretty simple. Basically you have four random cards, and then you started passing the rest of the deck around, keeping or passing the cards but always keeping four in your hand, trying to get 4 threes, or 4 Kings, or whatever. And when you do, you pick a spoon up off the table, and then everyone else grabs one, but there is one less than the number of people playing. So that's the jist of it, but we were playing with Marvin, and as you know from previous posts, Marvin always has to spice things up just a little. So we played Marvin style. Which mean... instead of spoons we played with the giant chess pieces, and instead of having them right there in front of us, they were around the corner behind a wall. THEN, to make things even more interesting, after a few rounds, Marvin put one of the chess pieces through the doorway, out in the hall, by the stairs as sort of a "safety piece" that people could run even further for. AND THEN, he decided to put one of pieces up on a light fixture way high, which was really quite unfair for me, since everyone was quite tall and I, am not. So to be more fair, Marvin moved a table under the light fixture so I could climb up on the table and then grab the chess piece on the light fixture. Which I did. :) There you have my semi-eventful Friday. To summarize, I love the University of Geneva, my french is improving through experience, and spoons is way more exciting Marvin Style. (Oh yea! I just discovered the post I thought was deleted was autosaved and not lost for all time! )
3 comments:
Sounds like a great day and the card game........ sorry about the music post, however, the is a post about choir. Thanks you for keeping us all updated. Dad
I thought you were going to say that Marvin changed it to 'forks' or 'knives'. Now, that would have been an interesting game. :)
HI! Surprise! Surprise! It sounds to me like you are just having too much fun!! What a great "blog" you have. Whata great experience this is for you! You are building many memories for your memory bank - especially the spoon game!! Someday when you are old and gray you can tell your grandkids all about the fun you had in France!! We are so happy for you and this great experience!! Blessing to you, my dear, Dianne
Post a Comment