About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sabbath Hike- Un Grand Adventure (said with a French Accent)


Well hello again. I am aware of the fact that I just posted, but I had to post again, mainly just so I could put all these lovely pictures of our second hike! It is probably way too many pictures and looks ridiculous, but I couldn’t decide which to use and which not to, so I just used them all. Hope you don’t mind. I guarantee you they by no means do the view or the experience justice, but they will have to suffice. You will just have to come and hike it and see it for yourself.

Sabbath morning we went to church, which was a frustrating experience. I sat next to Ketsia, my Parisian friend, and after the sermon she asked me if I understood much. “Nope. Was it a good sermon?” It’s so frustrating when you try to get exposure to the language, the exposure you hear is what you need to become more fluent, but you don’t really see the point when you don’t get hardly anything out of that exposure. After church we all went down and got a balloon which had a message attached to it and then we all let them go at the same time, hoping they would find someone who needed the message. Kind of an outreach I guess. It was pretty cool, and someone took an aerial picture which I need to track down. After church and a brief nap, Sarah and I drug ourselves out of bed and decided to hike the Saleve again. At the beginning of the trail, on the side of the road, was a house, and outside this house eating some grass was a goat. Me the animal lover, decided to try to make friends with the goat. Warning to readers, never mess with foreign goats. I held my hand out as a peace offering , and he approached me so I took that as a good, friendly sign. No no. Instead, he decided to butt me with his horns and refused to let me go up the hill. I looked to Sarah for help but she was a clueless as I when it came to goat handling. I tried to gently push him away but he just kept coming back. Fortunately he got tired of guarding his little patch of grass, but for a moment there I wasn’t sure I was going to make it up the hill! Sadly I have no picture of this possessive goat.












This time we went better prepared for the mountain- hiking shoes, water, snacks, and cameras! So I took some pictures a little over halfway up, and then at the top. We stopped at the top on a grassy knoll for our snack time, and talked for a while until we realized it was quickly getting dark and cold. We said at the beginning of the hike it was "un grand adventure" (we weren't sure of the french word for adventure, so when that happens we frequently just say the English word with a french accent), well it was turning into more and more of an adventure. We said if things got desperate we still had a few nuts left over from our snack. But times did not quite get that desperate. The rocks were just a bit slippery and wet and the path was quite dark. So we booked it down the mountain and spent the rest of the night cozy on my bed watching The Office, (under my quilt eating snack from home, yea for mail!). Not a bad Saturday.















2 comments:

ML said...

Well, I tried this a moment ago and it didn't recognize my password. Who knows...anyway, great pictures and hard to believe you are actually there taking them. Regarding the goat, maybe next time, offer him a handful of grass. :) Can't wait till we can see some of the same things you're seeing. Love ya. Mom

Unknown said...

Can't have too many pictures. Thanks