About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Friday, September 19, 2008

First Week Experiences...

Well, since these events are quickly seeming to become ancient history, they won't be in quite as much detail as they probably deserve. But here goes the highlights of last week, the first week here.

We arrived Monday evening, as I've already described. Tuesday we had our placement test, afterwhich Sarah and I weren't sure we should be in the intermediate class like we originally hoped. But intermediate we were. We also had orientation that day, a LONG meeting explaining, luckily in French and English for those who were beginners, many details regarding fun campus life that I'm sure most of us have forgotten by now.
Wednesday we had registration, which for most people took most of the day. Lucky for me, I did not get a student visa but decided instead to leave the EU every three months, so I didn't have to apply for a residency permit or do many of the things that took so much time.
Wednesday night we also had our first choir and orchestra practice which was... interesting. At the time it sounded quite exciting- The choir travels to nearby churches and sings, and also has a trip to Austria planned! The orchestra was fun as well; I was quite glad music is an international language :) The only problem Sarah and I are now having with choir and orchestra is that it pretty much books all of our weekends, which we were hoping to spend doing our own traveling. Also, unless it changes, the choir didn't even sing parts, everyone just sang the melody of a hymn... not terribly exciting.
Thursday was our first day of class, which was rather intimidating. The professors spoke extremely quickly, and by the end of our first short day, both Sarah and my heads were spinning and I was getting a headache. The nice thing is though we only have class until 12:40 at the latest, we only have 8:00 classes two days a week. After which, we have the entire afternoon and evening to ourselves for socializing and experiencing French culture :) So, needed to clear our heads, after class Sarah and I headed out for what started out as a quick jog around the neighborhood. Well... we quickly discovered a little trail, decided to explore the trail, and soon realized the trail was one that led up Saleve. The mountain. The 4,500 foot mountain. Let me just post the pictures so everyone can visualize just what exactly is transpiring here. We decided, why not. And started climbing. It was actually quite a fun hike, obviously quite steep. There were parts where it got so steep there was a safety cable to hang onto, and a section where it looked like they had just carved a hole right into the mountain and you climbed through this little tunnel. The view at the top was obviously spectacular. Unfortunetely, since we were only planning on a jog, we failed to bring our cameras (or water), but next time we will definitely be better prepared. It took us longer than we planned, and despite us booking it down the hill we missed dinner. It was worth it though.

Friday's classes were much nicer; I was starting to catch on more to what they were saying and felt better about the whole thing. The homework load is pretty light as well, which is nice. Friday evening, the orchestra played for vespers, which was fun. I think I am the only English speaker in the orchestra, which makes for interesting communication. My poor stand partner was a french high schooler who tried so hard to communicate with me, as I did with him, but it was pretty halting at best. When we first met he took me quite by surprise as I forgot the French way of greeting (three kisses on the cheek). When I finally realized what he was trying to do and complied, he asked, "you don't do that in America?" Uh, no.

Nothing terribly exciting happened Saturday or Sunday; I think it was Monday we made it into Geneva for the first time. Pretty exciting. OH! There was one exciting thing that happened Sunday night, hehe. We enjoy our fresh air, Sarah and I, and frequently have the windows open (this was before the unusually frigid air swept through the town for about a week). Sunday night we walked into the room only to discover the ceiling covered with mosquitos. Nasty. We were not about to be eaten alive, so we set out to murder those little blood suckers. As you can see, Sarah got pretty into this activity, and by the time we were done all that was left of those little devils were the remnants of their smashed limbs on our ceiling. Kinda nasty, but better than being attacked in our sleep. I would have brought my mosquito net from India if I had only known...

Tuesday was just another day of classes. For those who are wondering, yes , they are mostly all language classes. I have: Spelling and Grammer, Composition, Reading Comprehension, Oral Comprehension, Oral Expression, Language in Context, and my one elective is Arts and Monuments, which is in preparation for our upcoming trip to Paris. It is a bit difficult, but I think I will appreciate the trip so much more. Tuesday afternoon I walked into Collonge and set up a bank account so I can have a local visa card and won't get charge ridiculous rates by my bank everytime I use my debit card.

Wednesday was kind of an optional field day, which most people used to sleep in. I decided to go for a run. To Switzerland :) (I just realized I skipped right over Monday... I'll go back to it later, don't worry). I'm not exactly sure how far it was; I couldn't exactly clock it, especially since I got lost several times, but eventually I made it to Geneva, my goal. It was amazing. I ran around the river for a while (that turn into Lake Geneva) , ran through town, past this random, huge sidewalk sale, AND a circus! No joke! There were tents set up and ponies and horses and camels and everything! You just never know what you're going to find in Geneva. Anyways, I was sad my iPOD was broken, but my lack of music just made me appreciate my surroundings that much more. I left around 9:00 in the morning and didn't get back till about 12:30. It was amazing. And I can now say I've run to another country.

So... I think this has been quite long enough for now. I will soon write about my first and second trip to Geneva, quite different experiences, and that should basically catch me up.

1 comment:

Qwerty said...

I clicked on that picture of Sarah smiling and the mosquito swatter paper says, "First Immobilizer."

How fitting!

Jen D.