About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Visit Home, Part 1

The first part of our five week stint in America was spent with Jon's family in Auburn.  We packed in the activities the first week and relaxed a bit more the second.  We arrived in late on a Friday evening, greeted at PDX by late arriving parents and siblings on both sides.  Our bags were a couple hours behind us, so we waited for them at Kenneth and Adam's place whilst enjoying some much needed food.  (how ridiculous is it that now some airlines won't provide you with food on international flights?! I'm appalled.) 








Sunday we enjoyed watching the first Seahawks game of the season (it didn't go well), and then Monday we powerwalked through the zoo.  We saw a baby ocelet, jaguars, elephants, giraffes, and lots more.  Tuesday afternoon, Katelyn, Jon and I hit the fair.  We did the usual rides, food, and animals before driving down to Portland to meet Kenneth and Candice for the Pink Martini concert. 

Their lead singer was unfortunately out of commission due to vocal chord surgery, but their temporary replacement for her was still amazing, and it was a really fun concert.  Thursday Jon's grandparents flew up for California to see us for a few days.  We made use of their hotel's pool and hot tub of course, and we all went mini golfing and shopping on Friday.  On Sabbath, Jon and I were doing Offertory and Jon, Katelyn and I did special music, a medley of Coming Home and Softly and Tenderly.  It went well and was nice to be able to do it with family around to hear it.  We went and got the Campbell's traditional back-to-school-ice cream-treat at Dairy Queen before his grandparents flew out the next day. 


  \
As I said, the next week was much more low-key, with lots of reading and walking to local coffee shops.  We went to a local theatre and saw Duck Soup with the Marx Brothers, and visited with some of Jon's high school/college friends and their dog one afternoon.  We also spent many an evening playing games, some new some old (for me), and I was quite proud of myself when I managed to win three games!  I think they took pity on me.  :)  The last weekend we were there we went and hiked around Mt. Rainier, which was really pretty, and finally on Monday evening right before we left we went to a Seattle Mariner's baseball game.  They weren't going to be in the playoffs or anything, but it was still fun to go, and then ended up winning 4-2 against the Oakland A's with some amazing plays and two home runs!  A nice way to end a lovely visit with the Campbells!



















No comments: