About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cultivating some Culture

Yea for another long weekend! The month of May is apparently the month of holidays in France. It’s been a lovely and cultural last few days, beginning with last Wednesday. The school took us to see a play in Carouge by Moliere entitled The Fourberries de Scapin. It was really hilarious and had amazing acting and costumes and sets, but unfortunately we didn’t understand a lot of what was being said. We got the general point of the play, but even the advanced students hardly understood any of it due to how fast they were talking, the fact that they were using old, literary French, and they had really really thick accents. The next night was the ballet! Sarah, Stephen, Leo, and I got all dressed up and met at the Grand Theatre of Geneva to attend Romeo and Juliet, by Prokofiev. Sarah and I were excited because ever since one of our first trips to Geneva when we’d seen the Grand Theatre, we’d wanted to see something there before we left. Our seats were quite high, but well centered and provided a good view of the stage and the orchestra. Oh my goodness it was so amazing. The music was incredible; it is what really drives ballets I think, without it you’d just have people flitting around on stage. And the dancing was great too; it was more contemporary ballet than classical, but still really cool. The last few scenes where Romeo and Juliet die were so moving, we all loved it, even the guys. Afterwards, we hung around in Geneva a bit longer before finally coming back. Sadly the only picture I have of the two events is one Leah shot on the way out of the play; I'm as sad as you about this fact.

No comments: