About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Friday, May 15, 2009

Brief Updates

Just a brief update until I have more time and more exciting news to write about. Nothing terribly exciting happened since my day trip to Lausanne and Evian. The rest of the weekend passed fairly uneventfully; Saturday we had an ice cream and movie night (Rat Race, Over the Hedge, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Lemon Sorbet (separately), great combination.)


The week felt slightly long, but it was the last full week of the school year; how bizarre is that. We had several tests this week, and several fun things. A spelling test which I feel good about, a grammar test I got back which I'm quite happy with (17/20), a composition test asking a) to compose a dialogue between two disgruntled passengers on the metro and b) to write our thoughts about the statement that animals that serve as comforters without words. We had an oral test today which I really enjoyed, where we talked about the environment. There were all these statistics which we could be asked, and I knew a few but not all, so my strategy was to talk a lot, since I've studied climate change some, and just talk and talk and avoid her asking me the statistics. It worked quite well. : ) In our literary class, one day we read some poetry, then got to write our own poem in French, which was hard since it's sometimes hard just to write poems in English, much less in French and come up with fr
ench rhymes, but it was fun. We also got to write a story, which I got really into. Next week we have our international standardized test, which we also took at the beginning of the year, so we'll be able to see our progress. Then the week after we have our European French test, the DELF, which is even scarier, since it determines whether you can go to universities here. Wish me luck!


I've been quite productive at work lately, which is a nice feeling. We got a new intern th
is week, so I've been training him. We also finished creating our forum for the website and opened up to the public (feel free to visit and post your thoughts!), and I organized our page of various human rights topics, among other things.


Last night, Leo was heading up to the campus to have Sarah chop his unruly locks of hair. He was beginning to look like a bum off the street, as we joked, and it was definitely time for a trim. I asked him online that day if he'd be hungry when he got there or if he will have already eaten (knowing how most college boys are...), and he said, "yeah it'd be nice to have some food. Are you going to cook? lol". I was slightly offended by the 'lol' (laugh out loud) at the end of that sentence. Was he insinuating I can't cook? Granted I don't have a good record with rice, but I can make a tasty meal. So I replied to him that I was insulted by this implication, and that, yes there would be food there and I had no idea what kind, but t
hat it would be amazing. So, I went to the grocery store after work with no plan in mind but just started grabbing things that looked good. In the end, we had sauteed vegetables (zucchini, peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, etc.) , with risotto, lentils, and rolls. With Sarah's help chopping the vegetables, it turned out quite nicely and everyone was very satisfied and pleased. Stephen and Sarah ended up joining us for dinner and we had a nice evening. The meal was unintentionally almost entirely vegan, which was ironic since when we were in Lausanne, Leo and I had gotten into a bit of a debate about the pros and cons of being vegan. After dinner, Sarah pulled out the razor and off came the mane of hair Leo had become infamous for around the University. It looks really different, but definitely a lot sharper, just not as fun.


This weekend, Sarah and Leah and I plan to watch Gone with the Wind. Neither of them have seen it, and I told them it was a must. Classic. Leah and I will also be making Normandy plans. We have next Thursday and Friday off, so to make use of my train pass and see another region of France, we will be leaving Thursday in the direction of Normandy and getting back Sunday night. That's about as far as our planning has gotten so far : ) Saturday we have a BBQ planned at a friends house, and this Sunday, we are supposed to go "canyoning". Don't ask me for a specific definiton, but it involves something with a river in the mountains and us sliding down it. Unfortunately, the weather has not been cooperating and it has been quite rainy, which makes canyoning more dangerous. They say more dangerous, I say more exciting, but sadly, if it keeps up, the outing will have to be cancelled.


Well, this 'brief update' certainly turned out a lot longer that I'd planned on, as usual. I should probably leave the office before the lock the gate on me and I'm stuck taking the long way around in the rain. But a few sincerely brief thoughts in other news:
  • We have ten different types of free tea I take advantage of at work.
  • At the moment, I have 23.20 Francs and 3.44 Euros, all in change.
  • I acquired a bike that a theology student loaned me to ride to work and back! Yea! First ride down to work, SO fun! Ride back UP after work, slightly ridiculous and so exhausting I almost died. Came back and collasped on the floor of my room.
  • Sarah made homemade applesauce the other day. It was really good. I think I'm going to try.
  • Sunscreen is very expensive here. Back home, what, three dollars a bottle? Here? Cheapest I can find is 15 euros. Ridiculous.
  • It is officially 19 days till I see my lovely cousin and we begin our whirlwind tour of Italy
  • It is 27 days till I step foot on American soil and see my entire family
  • And 29 days till my brother graduates from college!

No comments: