About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Amsterdam in a day



But the next morning I definitely had a brighter outlook on things in the light of day, so I set off to see what Amsterdam had to offer. Armed with the trusty map Dallin had given me, I made my way to the Rijksmuseum, which housed a lot of Dutch paintings and historical relics, and then to the Van Gogh museum which was, you guess it, my favorite word, amazing! Saw Starry Night, Sunflowers, Self-Portrait, and many other incredible works by the master. I wish I could have spent more time there, but I was trying to make it back in time to meet up with a tour, the same free walking tour Leah and I had done in Madrid.

I got there as fast as I could, but I think I starred at Starry Night a bit too long because by the time I got there, the tour had already left. Dejected and not sure what to do with three more hours of free time, I went to a church that Dallin said was a must see. Ironically and luckily for me, this also happened to be the first stop of the tour : ) So I met up with them and had a much more informed and enjoyable visit of Amsterdam after that.



I took the train back to Brussels shortly after the tour. The train to Brussels only came once an hour and I thought I had timed it perfectly, and I had. Unfortunately the train left about 2 minutes early. I was starting to panic that I would miss my plane because I couldn’t remember if my plan left at 7:55 or 8:55, but luckily it was 8:55 and I was fine. My backpack unzips into two, and Dallin had kindly suggested that I just take what I need for the night to Amsterdam and leave the rest of my stuff at his place and he could meet me at the train station before I headed to the airport with the rest of my stuff.

I had been restraining myself on the waffles all weekend because they were so amazing and so cheap, but I said I would have one more on my way out, so when I got into the station at Brussels, tired and done with Amsterdam and ready to see a familiar face, it was so good to see Dallin standing there waiting for me with my backpack and waffle in hand for me. So sweet. He didn’t see me coming, so I ran up to him and nearly tackled him I was so excited to see him. We thoroughly enjoyed our waffles before I got my train to the airport, then my plane before finally arriving back in Geneva after a most enjoyable weekend.

No comments: