About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Monday, May 30, 2011

Tragedies

 
Tragedy strikes every day in every form.  The way the news reports it and the frequency of it, we've almost become desensitized to it.  But there are those times when it hits closer to home.  Sometimes it comes slowly, is anticipated, and can be prepared for.  My grandpa dying in November and our border collie Katie recently being laid down are two examples of this.    Grandpa lived with us for eleven years, exactly half of my life.  When I came home at Christmas it was so weird for him not to be there, cracking his usual jokes and listening to him talk to his dog Daisy.  We had Katie nearly as long, about ten years I think, and she was something special.  She listened when you talked to her, and actually learned words and tried to understand you.  She never left my mom's side, and was never too tired for one more chase of the ball or one last sprint home on a walk.  The knowledge that their end would be soon made it no less sad, but at least you are able to prepare yourself for it and see the causes behind it and can slowly grieve.













Then there are those times where tragedy shocks you and leaves you speechless.  That happened this weekend.  I don't know the details of how this happened, but we heard that our good friends recently lost their beautiful 18 month old little girl.  She was adorable.  Jon and I share special memories surrounding her life.  I remember going bowling when Damie was a good 8 or 9 months pregnant with Ryann.  I remember Jon going out to celebrate with Jared when Ryann was born.  I remember seeing the cute little outfits they would dress her in and the darling little hats Damie would make for her.  I remember holding her and entertaining her in several classes I shared with Jared that spring, how his Hebrew professor loved to hold her and teach at the same time, or give her a bottle when Jared was taking a test.  I remember going on walks with Damie and Ryann.  I remember what a well-behaved and insatiably happy child she was, and how she could sleep through just about anything.  I remember the time Jon and I babysat her by ourselves last summer, how good she was, how nervous we were.  After we moved, I loved reading Jared and Damie's posts on facebook about her recently discovered new skills, her adventures, and her lovely pictures.  And then, within an unbelievable span of 24 hours that little girl was gone, and I can only imagine the awful pain and loneliness her parents are going through, how terribly quiet their house will be.   It's amazing how much someone can impact you and how big a hole they'll leave in only a year and a half.  Lovely little Ryann Serena Hiscock,  we sadly knew you too short a time, but we will never ever forget you.

I've been thinking about them and praying for them so much ever since I heard and encourage you to do so as well, they need it.  We were not meant for this kind of sadness, and I look forward to the day when it will be no more. 

No comments: