About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

'Tis the season...

... for summer jobs.  Oh joy.  The beauty of this summer though, is that we are working because we want to and not because we have to.  We could technically survive without a job until we left for Korea in October.  However, we would not have the means to do an extraordinary amount of fun extras, (aka a trip to Paris and Geneva).  Also, with only a couple one-off classes this summer, we have a rather large amount of time just to write our dissertations and, let's face it, we are not about to spend 8 hours a day from now until September researching and writing.  Also, the beauty is that because of our student visas, we are only legally allowed to work up to 20 hours a week, so no danger of being sucked into overworking ourselves.  Thus we began brainstorming ways to amuse ourselves this summer, and while there are some free fun things left to do around here, there are a couple of things like trips that would require substantially more money than we currently possess. 

So the applying began.  After a rather quick process, I was back in a Subway uniform before I knew it, thus beginning my fourth summer in that capacity.  My first day was yesterday, a tiring full 8 hour day.  I can't remember the last time I worked 8 hours straight, or if I ever have for that matter.  Looks like I'll mostly be working 2 days a week with 8 hr shifts...not sure how I feel about that.  However, it was a good feeling knowing that at the end of the day:

1.  I had made almost £50, furthering our trip fund
2.  I came home to a lovely dinner of fettuccine alfredo and a baguette
3.   My kind husband gave me a back and foot massage

Then today, we both had interviews with a 4 week night job at the York alumni department calling alumni asking for donations.  This was about the tenth step in the interview process, slightly ridiculous for a 4 week night job if you ask me.  We had a paper application, a test phone call, a letter we had to write to this fake person, and now a face to face interview.  The interviews went well for both of us, but we just found out that only Jon got the job.  This is fine, since I already have quite a few hours at Subway and would have been away from home a fair both with both jobs.  However, it is nice that Jon got it since it pays quite well!


Jon has also just found out that he has been accepted to some kind of job tutoring English online.  We're still trying to figure out how that one works...Apparently you list what your price is for tutoring, and then people can ask you to tutor them from home via Skype.  Should be interesting.  


But, long story short, it looks like we have successfully found ways to earn some extra cash and occupy our time this summer!  Nice to have a little flexibility to go out to eat or to the movies more, save a bit for the future, and of course plan a fantastic trip to the continent!  


 

No comments: