The next day we were off again, to Florence this time. We were greeted at our guest house by Ricardo the owner, who was extremely hospitable and helpful. He gave us maps and juice, showed us where to go and what to see and when to stop for the best gelato and coffee where, and what restaurants were decent. Florence was quite cool, I think I could have spent more time there. The architect
ure was significantly different than what I had seen the rest of the year; it was very fresco and much more colorful. We saw the David and the golden doors before browsing through the open air market and finding many lovely things we must add to the weight of our bags, because they weren’t quite heavy enough. We tried all the local specialties when dining out, risotto, tiramisu, cannoli, spaghetti, pizza, and bruchetta. Once while dining out, simply because I ordered in Italian and pronounced things correctly, I had the waiter convinced I was fluent in Italian : ) Of course, by that time, I had pretty much exhausted my Italian vocabulary, so I switched to French and told him I spoke French better and he told me I should practice my Italian more. Course, this same guy told us the dessert of the night was him.
The next morning we set out early to pick up a souvenir request from one of Jo’s friends, special chocolate at a special place. Ricardo had promised us breakfast, but he wasn’t awake when we left, and after waiting around 30 minutes and banging on his door, we weren’t about to wait any more. We left, grabbed the chocolate and a pick-me-up for ourselves, then ran back to the guesthouse to grab our bags, where Ricardo was now waiting, hurt that we didn’t want breakfast with him. We thanked him politely, grabbed one of his croissants, and were off to the train station once again, this time headed for Pisa.
We had heard the only thing in Pisa worth seeing was the tower, and you only needed half a day there, so that’s what we figured in. It took us probably a good 45 minutes to walk from the train station there, but it was pretty much a straight shot and you just follow the hoards of people with cameras. We went, we saw, we took pictures. We also had pizza under the Leaning Tower of Pisa, just cause it’s cool to say. After wandering through the shops a bit, it was time to catch our last train, to Rome!
No comments:
Post a Comment