About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oh Morocco how I love thee





Brace yourself reader, this will take a while. I am finally beginning to catch myself up on everything after my return to France, so I figure it's time for an update of my travels. As usual, we took a lot of pictures, but I think I reached a new record. Between the two of us, we took over 750 pictures, with very few of them being duplicates.



So, the trip began late Friday night, with our flight to Casablanca, or so we thought. The flight was quite uncomfortable- frigid and loud. You would think that late at night, people would be somewhat subdued, but no. And then, as we got close, the pilot announced that the Casablanca airport was closed due to fog and we were diverting to Marrakech. You should have heard the unhappy eruption of the other passengers. This actually worked out well for us though; we were planning on spending the night in the airport and taking the train to Marrakech the next day anyway. Although there was the situation of where to sleep. Unfortunately, we couldn’t sleep in the Marrakech airport like we had planned on doing in Casablanca, since in Marrakech it closes for the night. We wandered around the airport for a while looking a little lost, so a nice airport worker asked how he could help us, we told him we needed a cheap hostel, the next thing we know he’s calling one of his taxi buddies and we’re on our way. So we found a ghetto hostel at 1:00 AM , which consisted of a toilet, shower, and beds, all in the same room with no curtain or door or anything to separate the three. Talk about bonding time. :) (“Okay, turn around, I’m taking a shower now! : ) )Also featured in this hostel, was a howling cat right outside our room that sounded like it was dying. All night.



We were awoken by morning prayer at five AM, but slept in a bit longer and eventually rose to have breakfast on the terrace overlooking the beginnings of the daily market. After breakfast, we traversed into the thick of the city, got lost in the market for a good three hours, thought we'd never see daylight again, and got a drum lesson (where I also purchased a drum). Upon emerging into the open air once again, we got lost once again trying to find our hostel, which took us a good couple of hours. After collapsing on our beds from exhaustion due to walking for hours with our packs, we set out once again to see more of the city. We discovered the mosque of Marrakech, held some monkeys in the market, bought some dried apricots and nuts, which ended up feeding us for the next like four days, after which we were so sick of looking at the peanuts we finally donated them to the earth. We did eat something else, I admit, we had some authentic falafels. I frequently have them in Geneva, since they’re tasty and cheap, but we decided we it was a must to eat them in their natural environment. After dinner, we called it a fairly early night, since we were getting up quite early to catch our camel tour. Little did we know how early we were actually going to get up…

No comments: