Just a brief note to relate the week's events and explain my upcoming absence. Nothing terribly exciting to relate about this week:
Monday night a friend met me in town and we went out to dinner, which was nice to do and nice to have some company on the way back to the campus; thanks Stephanie! Tuesday night two friends met me in town to find a classical piano concert. We decided it was time to take advantage of Geneva's cultural opportunities, and what better place to start than a free piano concert? Well, perhaps a better place to start is somewhere we can find. :) From work, I had to take a tram to the train station to transfer trams, take that tram to the end of its line, then catch a bus and take it to the end of its line, where I was supposed to meet my friends. Well, they finally showed up, after a lengthy delay due to an accident on the tram line. We walked and walked (in the cold), trying to find this random building where the concert was supposed to take place, finally asked for directions the place and found the most back-entrance to the place possible, I think. The concert was quite good; it consisted of Brahms, Debussy, Ravel, and Beethoven, and I discovered a greater appreciation for Brahms. We got out of the concert quite late and finally made it back to campus by midnight.
Today, Stephanie and I had an oral test. We have discovered it's best to get a general idea of what you want to say but not put a whole lot of time into memorizing a text, because then if you forget a word, it's all downhill from there. In this class, we have adopted an imaginary person to be for the entire quarter, with different scenarios for these people for each test. We all live in an apartment together in Paris, and this time we were were gossiping about the other neighbors with a partner. Our dialogue was quite amusing. To summarize, Stephanie has a snake in her bathroom which she doesn't know where it came from, one neighbor has threatened to call animal control on my dog, and an older guy Frank who was in our class but left we decided had married a young Italian woman and now lives in Florence. After everyone else had done their dialogues, there was one guy who at the last minute refused to do it in front of everyone (all 7 of us), and it turned into this whole ridiculous, dramatic, ordeal, so I volunteered to improv with his partner so she could still get a grade. It was interesting... hehe.
So, tonight, I have a bit of studying to do, then I'm going to watch a new film someone loaned me called Slum Dog Millionaire, which I hear is quite good. Either that or an Office party with my roommate :)
AND TOMORROW...after class and work, I will meet Leah at the train station where we will depart for Morocco at 9:45 !! Woot! Last Sunday I was skiing in the Alps, this Sunday I will be trekking through the desert on a camel! Such a life. Here's the rough outline of our trip, with details to follow upon our return.
Friday- Arrive in Casablanca
Saturday- Casablanca, take a train to Marrakesh
Sunday-Monday Desert Trek spending the night with a traditional family
Tuesday- Casablanca, spending the night with a guy who works here on campus but lives in Casablanca and will be there at the same time! He'll show us around and then cook for us and let us sleep there
Wednesday-Friday- Madrid
Friday-Sunday- Barcelona
There you have it! Wish Leah and I luck on our camels and never fear, many pictures will be taken !
No comments:
Post a Comment