About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Friday, October 16, 2009

The Birthday Bash(es)


That's right folks, I am now (have been for a few days now) officially 21 ! It was a wonderful celebration that was stretched out as long as possible.

It began early early in the morning. I had my outline for my paper due the day of my birthday and didn't want to have to worry about it then, so I was up late the night before working on it, and between the two cups of chai and pre-birthday excitement, I did not get much sleep. Plus, Leo called from Geneva and we had a nice talk for like an hour. That morning, I went to French class, where Sarah wished me a Happy Birthday. Jean-Paul comes in from his office and says "what? It's somebody's birthday??" I replied that it was mine and jokingly suggested we ditch class and go to the Patisserie for class instead. He says, ok. So Sarah, Jean-Paul, another girl and I spent two hours there, drinking cappuccino, eating pain au chocolat, and speaking in French. I was in France for two hours. Best present ever. Well, maybe. You'll see :) Then, Jared and Jon took me out to lunch after choir, which was nice. I then picked up a cake my parents had sent me. I knew Abby was super busy that night and wouldn't be able to do anything, so when I ran into her, we busted out the cake right then and there at a picnic table in the middle of campus. Afterwards, Sarah, Leah, and Andrea kidnap me and take me out to Mongolian BBQ for dinner, which was so tasty. We came back to Sarah's place, and while she was stalling we played really lame but fun games (such as sitting in a circle on the floor while everyone goes around and says what they like about me. Yeah. Incredibly awkward and embarrassing, but sweet.) Jon arrived then, they shut me in her room while they lit the candles on the mint chocolate chip pie Sarah had made me (SO GOOD!). We then just kinda of hung out and chilled and did presents, which I was not expecting. I mean, we are poor college students, I understand we just get together and eat and that's how we do birthdays. But Sarah and Leah had gone out shopping for me and gotten me a new bag and scarf, and Leah and written me a cute little poem. Then, Jon stands up all casually and nonchalantly says "well as long as we're doing presents..." as he slyly whips out a little box. Let me back up a bit and explain. We had chapel that day, and I hadn't seen him there, so I texted him, asked where he was, and he replies that it's funny I should ask cause he happen to be skipping that day and had stuff to do. Turns out... there's a REALLY fancy chocolate shop in Milton-Freewater, a town away, which only has very odd hours. So he had driven there during chapel and picked me up a cute little box of truffles that he had personally picked out for me. Talk about thoughtful.

So that was the actual birthday. The next day I got a package from home filled with fun, Saturday night we had a great dinner at Jared's and went bowling, and then Sunday was the day we had been anticipating for months! Leah, Sarah, and I piled in the car and headed to Portland to hear the beautiful sounds of Ingrid Michaelson live! We left just in time to get there and get to Buffalo Exchange, where we all found at least one new thing. Then met up with the parents, Kenneth, and Candice at a Moroccan restaurant. So tasty but SO much food. There were about 4 courses brought out in quick succession. Did more presents at the restaurant. Very excited about all of them. And then it was to the concert! It was sooooo good! She is very interactive with the crowd, and her live talent is just incredible. Leah, Sarah, and I got to our hotel that night around 12:30 and absolutely crashed. Woke up at four AM to get back to Walla Walla in time for our 9:00 classes. It was an exhausting day, and two of us got back sick, but it was oh so worth it.

No comments: