About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Internship News!!

Well, as some of you may know, I had the interview for my internship last Tuesday. I must say I was quite anxious, mostly because I had gotten sick Sunday/Monday so I didn't feel quite myself. But it was a wonderful wonderful day which could only be topped by the days to come. :) That morning we registered for next quarters classes, then Stephen drove Sarah and I and two other girls into town. Sarah was there with me for moral support, bless her. My interview wasn't until 2:30, so we had a leisurely day which began with a croissant and hot chocolate at a cafe, and then we did a bit of shopping. I must say, we were most productive. I found a nice bag I'd been needing, we both found a pair of new pants, and a few other essentials before headed towards the UN. After getting slightly lost, I finally found the room where the interview was to be held. It was quite informal and casual, which was nice. Let me just say, it went extremely well!! She said she will let me know for sure this Friday since she still has to see a few other people, but she is very interested in having me as a human rights coordinator and was already talking like, "when you're an intern here..." I also got to talk to two of the current interns, have them show me around, and ask them what it's like to work there. They said everyday is a little different, but most days they pick up a schedule of all the meetings taking place in the UN that day, pick which ones they're interested in, and then go to them and take notes and write reports that get published. They also help the director with her work, which can include jobs like getting ready their new website solely dedicated to human rights. So the director said she'll probably mostly be using my English, since I'm the only one who's first language is English, but she will also use my French. I will get to not only attend the meetings, but I also told her I was interested in being a liasion between the different UN and NGO officials, which she was more than happy to hear. Assuming I receive good news on Friday, I will begin my internship probably around the end of January/ beginning of February and go until June! So everyday I will go to classes here in the morning and then head into Geneva for work in the afternoons! How amazing is this going to be?!?

No comments: