About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Concert

We rushed back from our school trip slightly, because three of us were singing and/or playing in the Christmas Concert that night. We got back in plenty of time and were able to warm up a little, which was much needed for my still sick voice. The concert went fairly well.

The choir performed "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", which was kind of neat because the first verse was everyone, the 3rd verse all the men, and the 2nd and 4th verse was all the french students, all four of us who were in the choir. It just so happened that the other three were altos and I was the only soprano, but it was kind of cool. And the fifth verse was everyone, but with me singing a descant (a higher harmony). I was a bit worried since my voice was definitely not up to its top performing ability, but my friends and everyone who was listening said they could hear me and it sounded really good, so I guess it went ok.

After that song I was bouncing back and forth as usual between the choir and orchestra, always fun. The orchestra is ridiculously small, so for the songs the orchestra and choir played together the director preferred I play, which I was fine with. We played a German song the choir sang to, and "For Unto Us A Child is Born" from Handel's Messiah (really fun violin part!), and another song by ourselves. In between those, the Vocal Ensemble, which consists of about 8 of us, sang a really cool song, and us four french students sang a really cool song where 2 verses were in Italian and one in French (I knew from my voice lessons Italian is so much easier to sing and pronounce, so I was excited about this song). And then at the very end the orchestra played a medley of Christmas tunes which were really fun. Overall, not a bad performance. One down, one to go. We got up bright and early the next morning and did the same concert at a Portuguese Adventist Church Sabbath morning.

And now, it is Sunday. I have from now until Friday when my parents and brother come to do... whatever I want. :) There are a few of us who will be here the first week of break, so we're talking about going ice-skating one day, taking the official tour of UN one day, going sledding maybe, perhaps taking the train to a little town nearby and spending the night, and who knows what else. Sarah and I plan on doing a lot of cooking, which we are excited about. I'll let you know what exciting things end up taking place.

No comments: