About Us

My photo
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Charity Choices Part 1

Hey world! I just wanted to share some exciting budget decisions!  Haha, that sounds really ridiculous, like an oxymoron: "exciting budget decisions", but it really is exciting!  We've decided 5% of our income will go towards various charities.  So I thought I'd share our decisions and maybe spread some inspiration. 

So first we decided we wanted to do some local and some international donations.  So this post will be about one local charity we've decided on, and one international one. 

International Choice #1: www.kiva.org

Hernando Gabriel
My choice!
Kiva is awesome.  Basically, this organization has field partners that go all over the world and find people interested in small micro loans to start a business or support a business already started.  The field workers will post their information on kiva, (how much they need, picture, description, etc.), and lenders all over the world can choose to donate $25 to their loan need. Then the recipient receives the money, improves his business, and pays you back and you can choose to lend the money to someone else or not. 
Alaa
Jon's Choice

So Jon and I have decided we will each choose a new person to loan $25 to each month.  Last night we made our first choices! I'm loaning $25 to a man with a restaurant in Colombia, and Jon is loaning to a man in Iraq with an auto repair shop.   


And now, for a limited time, when one of your friends joins Kiva, you’ll both get to make a $25 loan for free.Click here to make a loan for free and help us make another loan for free!
Check out this organization; it's a pretty cool and sustainable idea!
 

Local Choice #1: www.waifanimals.org
Because we both love animals, we decided part of our local donation will go towards the Whidbey Island Animal Shelter.  Specifically, for $25 a month we'll be sponsoring this guy in the picture, Dozer.  
 
 
Image for Dozer
 
 
Anyway, those are the first decisions we've come to about our charities, part 2 to follow.  I'd encourage you guys to think about how you can make a difference with something you're passionate about!

No comments: